Making conscious decisions is an action you make when aspects of your life are in the baby phase. When a relationship or a job is brand new you think and act consciously. In fact only 5% of the brain makes up for cognitive activity, while the other 95% leans back on subconscious behaviors.
The 95% is why we tend to flat line in moving forward with any aspect of life. Falling back on the subconscious, on your pre-programmed behavior, is what makes you fall short.
Good news is that you don’t always have to fall back on the 95%. You can activate the 5% over and over again by putting a couple actions in place.
Find Your Why
Finding your why and having that purpose to back up your goals is what keeps you motivated. Having a why behind each relationship, a why behind your career, a why behind your personal development, a why behind any and everything is vital in personal growth. You have to be hungry for growth and development in order to consciously achieve growth and development.
Know Your Goal
Personal growth stems from knowing your goal. Having a set focus on what you want to achieve each day, each week, each month, each year is a key part in growing as a person. Setting goals like reading a book a month, volunteering each week and making someone smile each day are what will set you apart from the subconscious you.
Make Conscious Decisions
Making the decision to live a conscious lifestyle is the most important action you could make. By deciding to stay in the conscious mind, 5% of the brain, you’re deciding to have goals and to know your why behind them. Living in the 5% allows you to make decisions that you wouldn’t normally make in the 95%. This is what pushes you to the next level and is what will allow you to grow tremendously as a person.
So what does it mean to live consciously?
Conscious living means to decide to wake up everyday with a can do attitude. To have a purpose behind every action you make. To do at least one thing a day that makes you uncomfortable.
Believe it or not, when you’re uncomfortable in a situation you’re actually growing as a person. Whether you decide to step out of your comfort zone or someone else puts you in a situation, you’re learning to adapt. Learning to adapt is what is aiding in your personal growth.
Uncomfortable or not, the main purpose of making each decision consciously day-in and day-out is to activate that 5% of the brain. It’s possible to grow that 5% into 15%, but you have to want it.
The first step is to make the decision to live a conscious life.